Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Frankenbike lives !

It's a one of a kind alright.
Installed a pair of studded snow tires
and a Tomi Cog.

ready for winter base...


I learned a few more lessons about fixed gear riding..

Tried my first skid yesterday, did not go well.. On an icy road I leaned forward and locked them up..The chain fell off the front ring and wrapped around the rear cog. Luckily didn't break the chain. I'm running more tension now...but now with no rear brake thanks to Tomi.
This should be interesting.


7 comments:

jeff said...

dude, you're going full-on freako!

jeff said...

and that road pic looks perfect for the studded.

and now i'm jonsing to ride the fixey...

Andy, R&D said...

turns out 46x17 is tough to push on the hills with 2.1 studded tires.

I think that 42x17 will be the magic road gear.

needed change to get into base season.

wraith said...

I like the sound of this.... Keep us posted on the destruction.

rick is! said...

nice, is that a "custom" fender job or do they make shorties for the rear like that? i just fenders on my el and they look hey-noose!

Andy, R&D said...

they are cutomized sks 26 inch fenda's (mounted on my 29'er) complete with the saw-tooth edges front + rear. the rear is a little short out back but my butt stays dry for the most part.
function over fashion! (clearly)

van den kombs said...

So multi-talented ! You can even take pictures while pedaling fixed on ice...bring your saw and you're in my circus for sure.

It must be nice to ride during the week ! I am getting tired of leaving for work in dark and returning in the dark.